Sourdough Toast Points with Breffni mushrooms in creamy cognac sauce
Drizzle of olive oil
16 Breffni mushrooms, cut into quarters
2 small shallots, sliced
Cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste
2 shots of cognac
4 sprigs fresh thyme, cleaned and chopped finely
250ml double cream
2 large slices sourdough with each side covered in a layer of butter
1. Heat a frying pan and add in the oil, followed by the shallots. Sweat the shallots without colour for 2 minutes then add in the
2. Sauté on a high heat for 2 minutes then season with a decent amount of black pepper and 2–3 pinches of fine sea salt. Add the
cognac and flambé.
3. Now add in the cream and reduce until thickened. Adjust seasoning and set aside, keeping hot.
4. Heat a separate frying pan and grill the buttered sourdough on both sides until golden.
5. To serve, plate the sourdough and top with the mushroom ragout.