Plaice Fillets in St. Mel’s Lager Tempura with cherry pepper mayonnaise
4 large plaice fillets
Fine sea salt and white pepper to taste
150ml sparkling water
250ml St. Mel’s lager
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Cherry pepper mayonnaise
10 cherry peppers (or 1 red chilli)
Juice of 1 lemon
4 sprigs tarragon (or coriander)
4tbspn heavy mayonnaise
1. Heat your deep fat fryer to 170ºC.
2. Season the plaice fillets and lightly coat with flour.
3. Now place the flour in a bowl and add seasoning. Add all the sparkling water, then add St. Mel’s Lager bit by bit until the batter
is of a thick milkshake consistency.
4. Coat the plaice in the batter and let excess oil drain off.
5. Drop the plaice into the fat fryer and after 10 seconds give the basket a gentle shake. (This will make the fish float off the bottom thus not sticking.)
6. Whilst the plaice is cooking, place all the sauce ingredients in a food processor and pulse for 10 seconds.
7. Remove the fish when cooked to a crisp golden brown finish and place on kitchen towels to drain. Season with sea salt. Serve with dollops of the cherry pepper mayonnaise and a lemon wedge.