O’Dowd’s Honey Roast Peach, Vanilla & Cinnamon Mille Feuille with Casey’s Brown Bread Vanilla Cream
1 sheet Jus-Rol puff pastry
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla pod
2tbspn O’Dowd’s honey
1tbspn brown sugar
splash of water
1 vanilla pod
1tbspn icing sugar
Caramelised Brown Bread
100g Casey’s brown bread, crumbed
2tsp ground cinnamon
2tbspn brown sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Lay the breadcrumbs out flat on a baking sheet then cover with the cinnamon and mix well. Spread them out flat and then sprinkle over a layer of brown sugar and bake for 9–12 minutes or until sugar melts and the crumbs toast. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool and crispen.
3. Cut three rectangular pieces from the puff pastry sheet and puncture with a fork all over. Place on greaseproof paper and onto a baking tray. Top with a layer of icing sugar and a second sheet of parchment paper or greaseproof and top with a second tray and a weight (helps stop the pastry rising and help gain a crisp finish). Place in the oven at 180ºC for 10–14 minutes.
4. Add the peaches, honey, sugar, water and vanilla to a pot and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for 30 minutes making sure to stir often. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. (Can be made days ahead of time.)
5. Add the cream, sugar and vanilla to a stand-alone mixer and whip to stiff peaks. Fold in the caramelised brown bread.
6. To assemble, start with a little spread of the compote on the plate to keep the mille feuille in place. Begin with a layer of pastry, compote followed by the brown bread cream. Repeat a second time. Finish with the last sheet of pastry, dusting with icing sugar and serve.